Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how often your air filter has been changed, to name a few—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Davis Heating & Air Conditioning in Rocky Mount about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the timeline between specialized cleanings.
Above all, schedule routine HVAC maintenance with the specialists at Davis Heating & Air Conditioning. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning effectively, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at Davis Heating & Air Conditioning about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters regularly and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not require exchanging.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that allow dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Rocky Mount home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Davis Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 540-369-3790.